LOS ANGELES TIMES, Los Angeles, CA | 4/09-Present
Senior Digital Editor, Entertainment and Features (3/15-present)
- Manage team of digital producers and writers responsible for creating content around topics in the conversation, collaborating on breaking news, producing enterprise stories with experiential builds and optimizing articles for maximum readability and reach.
- Instituted reader engagement shifts to accelerate audience growth. Guide digital team in writing engaging headlines, implementing SEO, programming web pages, social listening, and distributing content on social with compelling story angles. Facebook followers up 76% and Twitter followers up 207%.
- Plan and lead coverage of live events. Create playbooks for all teams to follow. Anticipate and prepare editorial strategy and content in advance. Produce coverage for live blog, breakout posts, videos, photo galleries, interactives, email news alerts and social media, including Snapchat, Periscope and Instagram. Increase year-over-year page views. Highlights: Oscars live coverage up 590%, Golden Globes nominations up 292%, Grammys up 183%, Tonys up 272%.
- Develop content with section editors and writers. This includes shaping stories for different platforms, framing content for digital readers, conceptualizing visual presentations, curating archival and evergreen content, and finding ways to include readers in the storytelling.
- Relaunched Entertainment section’s Emmy Contenders video series on Facebook Live. Facilitated a set redesign, solicited reader participation and assigned real-time engagement for 45+ video chats with TV stars.
- Centralized and maintain editorial calendar of events and special projects that require collaboration among several departments: editors, writers, copy editors, photo, video, graphics, design, data visualization, social media, newsletters and homepage.
- Collaborate on a variety of initiatives, such as the creation of a central digital news hub, described as the “nerve center” of the newsroom; launching newsletters and podcasts; and teaching editorial staffers how to use new digital tools and understand social platforms.
Senior Web Producer and Opinion L.A. Blog Editor, Opinion Pages (10/10-3/15)
- Revamped the Opinion section’s web presence with reader engagement as a top priority. Increased overall traffic about 60% and blog traffic about 690%, with ongoing growth despite the introduction of a paywall limiting monthly page views to non-subscribers. Increased social media following about 560%.
- Implemented web strategies for attracting and retaining digital readers: writing headlines for the “social web,” using SEO, building attractive and sticky articles, encouraging reader conversation, curating content, building easy-to-navigate landing pages and utilizing social media. Created a dedicated space for The Times’ endorsements. Refocused the Letters section into a readers’ opinion hub. Oversaw Opinion web pages during 2014 relaunch of latimes.com.
- Developed the Opinion L.A. blog into a place for timely and lively commentary on the day’s biggest news stories as well as a space to start new conversations. Introduced recurring features, boosted number of daily posts and integrated video, photo essays, reader voices and live coverage of events. Launched guest blogger series: assigned, edited and fact checked posts by freelance writers. Contribute to the blog, writing on a variety of social, political and cultural issues.
- Organized multimedia projects such as “The 21st Century Citizen,” a series exploring the meaning of citizenship in modern America, and “Roadshare,” examining whether L.A.’s motorists and cyclists can share the city’s streets. Produced original web videos including an exit interview with then-outgoing Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.
- Analyzed traffic patterns, trending topics and breaking news to better react and cater to reader interest. Editor noted: “No one in the department is more focused on what readers want.”
- Streamlined print-to-web workflow to reduce production time. Trained Opinion staff on best practices for the web and producing content. Created user manuals.
Deputy Editor, Brand X (4/09-10/10)
- Launched lifestyle and entertainment weekly published within the Los Angeles Times newsroom. The mission: To curate next-generation ideas from the worlds of arts, culture, technology and more.
- Administered a weekly workflow for 20 pages of articles and drafted an editorial calendar. Created a system for planning and tracking content. Established a production schedule and deadlines for all staff.
- Managed print production cycle. Planned and assigned content. Mapped content flow. Proofed pages for copy, headlines, captions, photos and design.
- Wrote and edited content, some of which also ran in The Times’ Entertainment section. Sourced, edited and repackaged content from across The Times to attract the 18-to-34 demographic – younger, edgier, visually-driven, and easily digestible without losing the heart of the story.
- Spearheaded special theme issues including Coachella, Gaming, Holiday Gift Guide and Dating.
- Worked with marketing and sales departments on special events and product development.
- Oversaw editorial budget, processed invoices, and coordinated freelance contracts.
LOS ANGELES TIMES MEDIA GROUP, Los Angeles, CA | 4/07-4/09
Managing Editor and Bars & Clubs Editor, Metromix
- Worked closely with Editor in Chief to launch a personality-driven lifestyle website and weekly print publication. Built infrastructure from scratch. Planned symbiotic workflow systems for print and web. Created an editorial style guide. Hired, trained and supervised 25+ contributing editors, producers, freelancers and interns. Within two months, launched website with 7,000 local venue listings, multimedia and feature articles.
- Played integral role in development of web functionality. Tracked defects for debugging site. Suggested enhancements to improve user experience.
- Edited Bars & Clubs section. Turned web section into most popular channel, accounting for approximately 25% of all site traffic. Planned, wrote and programmed content with a minimum of five new features per week. Ensured listings database was always up-to-date and accurate. Hosted and produced web videos.
- Programmed daily homepage and previewed all sections for quality. Tracked traffic to assess reader interest. Headed up social media efforts. Monitored user generated content. Proofread all print pages.
- Handled editorial budget and freelance billing.
MEDIANEWS GROUP, Los Angeles, CA | 11/03-11/07
Managing Editor, LA.com (4/06-4/07)
- Worked closely with Editor in Chief and Creative Director to relaunch LA.com with smarter functionality, design and editorial sections. Helped develop content management system.
- Created tracking system to keep searchable content up-to-date. Ensured deadlines were met.
- Trained and supervised editors, writers, fact checkers, photographers and interns. Managed editorial budget.
- Programmed content. Tracked technological problems and provided periodic feedback.
- Was one of six people chosen to develop an online strategy for MediaNews Group’s publications.
Nightlife and Music Editor, LA.com (11/03-4/07)
- Wrote or edited about ten articles per week. Blogged several times per day. Curated a monthly newsletter. Nightlife section named “Best of the Web” in 2004 by Forbes.
PEOPLE.COM, LOS ANGELES MAGAZINE, VARIETY, IN TOUCH WEEKLY, Los Angeles, CA | 9/03-4/07
Freelance Writer and Reporter
- Covered red carpet events and interviewed celebrities. Wrote features about nightlife, beauty, fashion and tech.
WEEKLY DIG, Boston, MA | 9/01-6/03
Listings Editor, Writer and Office Manager
- Redesigned calendar section and worked with IT department to develop online listings database. Collected and edited listings. Managed workflow and interns. Wrote articles about local culture and media.
EMERSON COLLEGE, Boston, MA
B.A., Cum Laude. Major: Writing, Literature, and Publishing.
COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY, New York, NY
Columbia Publishing Course, an intensive six-week program covering book and magazine publishing.
- Knowledgeable in multiple content management systems, blogging platforms and print publishing tools. Have collaborated on developing three content management systems. Experienced with Slack, Photoshop, HTML and web analytic tools: Omniture and Chartbeat.
- Social media platforms: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Pinterest, Periscope, Tumblr.
- Conversational French. Basic Spanish.
- Editors have noted: “full of ideas,” “takes charge,” “technologically modern and journalistically grounded,” “extraordinarily hardworking, smart and thoughtful,” “easy to work with,” “ability to turn every obstacle on its head,” “indefatigable,” “content stimulator” and “infectious enthusiasm.”