WHAT I DO BEST
- Establish editorial vision, find resonant story angles and create engaging content across multiple platforms.
- Keep up with media trends, audience interests and data insights and apply to storytelling strategies.
- Manage media launches, multiplatform projects, and engagement campaigns from concept to completion: establish goals and timelines, figure out logistics, anticipate and solve problems, work directly with departments and facilitate collaboration between teams, and create playbooks for all to follow.
LOS ANGELES TIMES, Los Angeles, CA | 4/07-Present
Senior Digital Editor, Entertainment and Features (3/15-Present)
- Work closely with Deputy Managing Editor to set the digital agenda for the Entertainment and Features sections. This includes: editorial vision, audience goals, storytelling strategies, experimenting on emerging platforms, refocusing priorities across several departments and adjusting workflow — all towards moving the needle.
- Hire, develop and manage team of digital producers and writers responsible for creating content around topics in the conversation, collaborating on breaking news, writing engaging headlines, implementing SEO, social listening, producing experiential stories, optimizing articles for readability and reach, and tracking web traffic.
- Revamped overall strategy for live event coverage such as awards shows, festivals and premieres. Develop editorial strategy and coverage plan in advance for all participating teams. Manage coverage in real time: live blog, breakout articles, videos, photo galleries, interactives, email news alerts and social media, including Twitter, Facebook/FB Live, Snapchat and Instagram.
- Relaunched “Emmy Contenders” video series on Facebook Live to reach a bigger audience. Facilitated a set redesign, solicited reader participation and assigned real-time engagement for 45+ interviews with TV stars.
- By the Numbers: Increase year-over-year readership. Highlights: Oscars live coverage up 590%, Golden Globes nominations up 292%, Grammys up 183%, Tonys up 272%. Social media followers up 285%.
Senior Web Producer and Opinion L.A. Blog Editor, Opinion Pages (10/10-3/15)
- Overhauled the Opinion section’s digital identity, prioritizing brand awareness and reader engagement.
- Developed the Opinion section’s blog into a place for timely and lively commentary on the day’s biggest news stories. Introduced recurring features, boosted number of daily posts and integrated video, photo essays, reader voices and live coverage of events. Launched guest blogger series: assigned, edited and fact checked posts by freelance writers. Contributed to the blog, writing on a variety of social, political and cultural issues.
- Created a dedicated space for The Times’ endorsements. Refocused Letters section into a readers’ opinion hub.
- Managed multimedia projects such as “The 21st Century Citizen,” a series exploring the meaning of citizenship, and produced original videos including an exit interview with outgoing Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.
- By the Numbers: Increased overall traffic 60% and blog traffic 690%, with ongoing growth even when overall site traffic dropped. Grew social media following 560%.
Deputy Editor, Brand X (4/09-10/10)
- Launched lifestyle and entertainment weekly published within the Los Angeles Times newsroom. The mission: To curate next-generation ideas from the worlds of arts, culture, technology and more.
- Wrote and edited stories and also curated previously published Times articles into visually driven, easily digestible pieces for the 18-to-34 demographic. Spearheaded special theme issues including Coachella, Gaming, Holiday Gift Guide and Dating.
- Created a workflow system for planning, assigning, tracking and publishing copy and art. Oversaw editorial budget, processed invoices, and coordinated freelance contracts.
Managing Editor and Bars & Clubs Editor, Metromix (4/07-4/09)
- Worked with Editor in Chief to launch a personality-driven lifestyle website and weekly print publication from the Los Angeles Times Media Group. Built infrastructure from scratch. Planned workflow systems for print and web. Created an editorial style guide. Hired, trained and supervised 25+ contributing editors, producers, freelancers and interns. Handled budget and billing.
- Edited Bars & Clubs section. Planned, wrote and programmed content with a minimum of five new features per week. Ensured listings database was always up-to-date and accurate. Hosted and produced web videos.
- Programmed daily homepage and previewed all sections for quality. Tracked traffic to assess reader interest. Headed up social media efforts. Monitored user generated content. Proofread all print pages.
- By the Numbers: Bars & Clubs was most popular out of seven sections, accounting for approximately 25% of all site traffic.
MEDIANEWS GROUP, Los Angeles, CA | 11/03-4/07
Managing Editor, LA.com (April 2006-April 2007)
- Relaunched LA.com with Editor in Chief and Creative Director, focusing on functionality, design, editorial.
- Trained and supervised editors, writers, fact checkers, photographers and interns.
- Was one of six people chosen to develop an online strategy for MediaNews Group’s national publications.
Nightlife and Music Editor, LA.com (November 2003-April 2007)
- Nightlife section named “Best of the Web” in 2004 by Forbes.
- Wrote or edited ten articles per week and blogged several times per day. Curated a monthly newsletter.
PEOPLE.COM, LOS ANGELES MAGAZINE, VARIETY, IN TOUCH WEEKLY, Los Angeles, CA | 9/03-4/07
Freelance Writer and Reporter
- Covered red carpet events and interviewed celebrities. Wrote features about nightlife, beauty, fashion and tech.
WEEKLY DIG, Boston, MA | 9/01-6/03
Listings Editor and Writer
- Redesigned calendar section and worked with IT department to develop online listings database. Collected and edited listings. Managed workflow and interns. Wrote articles about local culture and media.
EMERSON COLLEGE, Boston, MA
B.A., Cum Laude. Major: Writing, Literature, and Publishing.
COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY, New York, NY
Columbia Publishing Course, an intensive six-week program covering book and magazine publishing.
- Knowledgeable in multiple content management systems, blogging and social media platforms, and print publishing tools. Have collaborated on developing three content management systems.
- Experienced with Slack, Photoshop, HTML and web analytic tools: Omniture and Chartbeat.
- Conversational French. Basic Spanish.
“Full of ideas,” “takes charge,” “technologically modern and journalistically grounded,” “extraordinarily hardworking, smart and thoughtful,” “ability to turn every obstacle on its head,” “indefatigable,” “content stimulator,” “infectious enthusiasm.”