LOS ANGELES TIMES, Los Angeles, CA | 4/09-Present
Senior Digital Editor, Entertainment and Features (3/15-present)
- Collaborate with editors and writers to develop content for the digital space. This includes: pitching story ideas and unique storytelling, shaping articles and multimedia, finding creative ways to resurface archival and evergreen content, deciding how readers should experience stories, writing web headlines, and incorporating reader engagement.
- Manage coverage of live events, including awards shows, film premieres and festivals, across several digital platforms. Page views during the 2016 Golden Globes grew 97% over 2015, while coverage of the nominations drew a 292% uptick in traffic. Page views for the 2016 Oscar nominations coverage increased 124%.
- Oversee two teams of web producers. Assign and edit web-only companion pieces and story presentations. Direct producers during breaking news and real-time coverage. Keep teams focused on current initiatives by giving clear direction and frequent feedback.
- Maximize readership opportunities: time stories to reader interest, use social media channels to engage with readers where they are, and apply SEO strategies. Implemented reader engagement shifts geared toward paying attention to readers in real time. Increased Entertainment’s Twitter following 195% and Facebook 68%.
- Manage editorial calendar and special projects that require planning and communication among several departments: editors, writers, copy editors, photo, video, graphics, design/data, social media and homepage.
- Participate in new newsroom projects, such as launching newsletters, creating podcasts and developing content for readers on social media platforms.
- Teach writers how to use our digital tools to enhance their storytelling. Discuss best practices.
- Track and analyze traffic, social and newsletter numbers.
Senior Web Producer and Opinion L.A. Blog Editor, Opinion Pages (10/10-3/15)
- Revamped the Opinion section’s web presence with reader engagement as a top priority. Increased overall traffic about 60% and blog traffic about 690%, with ongoing growth despite the introduction of a paywall limiting monthly page views to non-subscribers. Increased social media following about 560%.
- Implemented web strategies for attracting and retaining digital readers: writing headlines for the “social web,” using SEO, building attractive and sticky articles, encouraging reader conversation, curating content, building easy-to-navigate landing pages and utilizing social media. Created a dedicated space for The Times’ endorsements. Refocused the Letters section into a readers’ opinion hub. Oversaw Opinion web pages during 2014 relaunch of latimes.com.
- Developed the Opinion L.A. blog into a place for timely and lively commentary on the day’s biggest news stories as well as a space to start new conversations. Introduced recurring features, boosted number of daily posts and integrated video, photo essays, reader voices and live coverage of events. Launched guest blogger series: assign, edit and fact check posts by freelance writers. Contribute to blog, writing on a variety of social, political and cultural issues.
- Organize and facilitate multimedia projects such as “The 21st Century Citizen,” a series exploring the meaning of citizenship in modern America, and “Roadshare,” examining whether L.A.’s motorists and cyclists can share the city’s streets. Produce original web videos.
- Analyze traffic patterns, trending topics and breaking news to better react and cater to reader interest. Stay current on web development and digital trends transforming the media landscape. Editor notes: “No one in the department is more focused on what readers want.”
- Streamlined print-to-web workflow to reduce production time. Trained Opinion staff on best practices for the web and producing content. Create and maintain user manuals.
- Attend meetings: editorial board, web production and strategy, and social media.
Deputy Editor, Brand X (4/09-10/10)
- Launched lifestyle and entertainment weekly published within the Los Angeles Times newsroom. The mission: To curate next-generation ideas from the worlds of arts, culture, technology and more.
- Developed a weekly workflow for 20 pages of articles and drafted an editorial calendar. Created a system for planning and tracking content. Established a production schedule and deadlines for all staff.
- Managed print production cycle. Planned and assigned content. Mapped content flow. Proofed pages for copy, headlines, captions, photos and design.
- Wrote and edited content, some of which also ran in The Times’ Calendar section. Sourced, edited and repackaged content from across The Times to attract the 18-to-34 demographic – younger, edgier, visually-driven, and easily digestible without losing the heart of the story.
- Spearheaded special theme issues including Coachella, Gaming, Holiday Gift Guide, Sex & Dating.
- Worked with marketing and sales departments on special events and product development.
- Oversaw editorial budget, processed invoices, and coordinated freelance contracts.
LOS ANGELES TIMES MEDIA GROUP, Los Angeles, CA | 4/07-4/09
Managing Editor and Bars & Clubs Editor, Metromix
- Worked closely with Editor in Chief to launch a personality-driven lifestyle website and weekly print publication. Built infrastructure from scratch. Planned symbiotic workflow systems for print and web. Created a style guide. Hired, trained and supervised 25+ contributing editors, producers, freelancers and interns. Within two months, launched website with 7,000 local venue listings, multimedia and feature content.
- Played integral role in development of web functionality. Tracked defects for debugging site. Suggested enhancements to improve user experience. Provided detailed outline for redeveloping blog design and functionality. Tested homepage and photo gallery redesigns.
- Edited Bars & Clubs section. Turned web section into most popular channel, accounting for approximately 25% of all site traffic. Planned, wrote and programmed content, with minimum of five new features per week. Ensured listings database was always up-to-date and accurate. Hosted and produced web videos.
- Programmed daily homepage and previewed all sections for quality. Tracked traffic to assess reader interest. Headed up social networking efforts. Monitored user generated content (UGC). Proofread all print pages.
- Managed editorial budget and freelance billing.
MEDIANEWS GROUP, Los Angeles, CA | 11/03-11/07
Managing Editor, LA.com (4/06-4/07)
- Worked closely with Editor in Chief, Creative Director and technology department to relaunch LA.com with better functionality, design and content. Manually recategorized content to fit within new sections. Helped develop content management system.
- Developed new sections and editorial packages to increase traffic. Promoted content to other blogs and websites.
- Created tracking system to keep searchable content up-to-date. Ensured deadlines were met.
- Trained and supervised editors, writers, fact checkers, photographers and interns. Managed editorial budget.
- Programmed content. Tracked technological problems and provided periodic feedback.
- Was one of six people chosen to develop an online strategy for MediaNews Group’s nationwide news properties.
Nightlife and Music Editor, LA.com (11/03-4/07)
- Wrote or edited about ten articles per week. Put together a monthly e-newsletter. Blogged several times per day. Nightlife section named “Best of the Web” in 2004 by Forbes.
PEOPLE.COM, LOS ANGELES MAGAZINE, VARIETY, IN TOUCH WEEKLY, Los Angeles, CA | 9/03-4/07
Freelance Writer and Reporter
- Covered red carpet events and interviewed celebrities.
- Wrote lifestyle features about nightlife, beauty, fashion and technology.
WEEKLY DIG, Boston, MA | 9/01-6/03
Listings Editor, Writer and Office Manager
- Redesigned calendar section and worked with IT department to develop online listings database. Collected and edited listings. Managed workflow and interns. Wrote articles about local culture and media.
- Archived back issues, sent tear sheets to advertisers, billed clients, and managed office: phone, fax, mail.
EMERSON COLLEGE, Boston, MA
B.A., Cum Laude. Major: Writing, Literature, and Publishing.
COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY, New York, NY
Columbia Publishing Course, an intensive six-week program covering book and magazine publishing.
- Knowledgeable in multiple content management systems, blogging platforms and print publishing tools. Have collaborated on developing three separate content management systems. Working knowledge of web analytics. Proficient with PC and Mac. Experienced with Photoshop and HTML.
- Conversational French. Basic Spanish.
- Editors have noted: “full of ideas,” “takes charge,”“good at strategy,” “technologically modern and journalistically grounded,” “extraordinarily hardworking, smart and thoughtful,” “easy to work with,” “ability to turn every obstacle on its head,” “indefatigable,” “content stimulator” and “infectious enthusiasm.”