Alexandra Le Tellier
letellier [dot] alexandra [at] gmail [dot] com
LOS ANGELES TIMES, Los Angeles, CA | 4/09-Present
Senior Web Producer and Opinion L.A. Blog Editor, Opinion Pages (10/10-Present)
- Restructured Opinion section with reader engagement and usability as top priorities. Built easy-to-navigate landing pages that guide readers to new and curated content. Refocused the Letters section as a readers’ opinion hub. Oversaw Opinion web pages during 2014 relaunch of latimes.com and trained staff on new procedures.
- Developed Opinion L.A. blog into an extension of the Opinion pages with timely and lively commentary on the day’s news and big “talkers” as well as a place for conversation with readers. Increased blog traffic by 337%. Introduced recurring features and boosted number of daily posts. Integrated original video, photo essays, reader voices and live coverage of events. Created a blogging manual for staff writers with editorial and technological guidelines. Send daily blog reports with traffic numbers and ideas for blog posts. Oversee guest blogger series: Assign, edit and fact check posts by freelance writers. Contribute to blog, writing on a variety of social, political and cultural issues.
- Build and program daily articles and landing pages: Source and caption photos and videos, add related content, write clickable headlines with SEO keywords. Curate landing pages and packages several times a day. Create landing pages around dedicated topics for readers seeking a comprehensive experience.
- Promote and social network content. Send new content to outside websites. Maintain Facebook and Twitter accounts. More than doubled section’s followers on social media networks by consistently promoting content, engaging followers and interacting with readers.
- Study traffic patterns, trending topics and breaking news to better react and cater to reader interest. Stay current on web development and digital trends transforming the media landscape. Editor notes: “No one in the department is more focused on what readers want.”
- Attend meetings: editorial board, web production and strategy, and social media.
Deputy Editor, Brand X (4/09-10/10)
- Launched lifestyle and entertainment weekly published within the Los Angeles Times newsroom. The mission: Stay ahead of the curve and curate next-generation ideas from the worlds of technology, business, lifestyle and entertainment.
- Developed a weekly workflow for 20 pages of articles and drafted an editorial calendar. Created system for planning and tracking content. Established production schedule and deadlines for all staff.
- Managed print production cycle. Planned and assigned content. Mapped content flow. Proofed pages for copy, headlines, captions, photos and design.
- Edited content. Worked with writers to develop stories, which also ran in the Calendar section. Sourced, edited, repackaged and reverse-published content from the Los Angeles Times to attract the 18-to-34 demographic – younger, edgier, visually-driven, and easily digestible without losing the heart of the story.
- Spearheaded special theme issues including Coachella, Gaming, Holiday Gift Guide, Sex & Dating.
- Wrote features on technology, design and nightlife; several stories also ran in Calendar section.
- Worked with marketing and sales on special events and product development.
- Oversaw editorial budget, processed invoices, and coordinated freelance contracts.
LOS ANGELES TIMES MEDIA GROUP, Los Angeles, CA | 4/07-4/09
Managing Editor and Bars & Clubs Editor, Metromix
- Worked closely with Editor in Chief to launch a personality-driven lifestyle website and weekly print product. Built infrastructure from scratch. Planned symbiotic workflow systems for print and web. Created a style guide. Hired, trained and supervised 25+ contributing editors, producers, freelancers and interns. Within two months, launched website with 7,000 local venue listings, multimedia and feature content.
- Played integral role in development of web functionality. Tracked defects for debugging site. Suggested enhancements to improve user experience. Provided detailed outline for redeveloping blog design and functionality. Tested homepage and photo gallery redesigns.
- Edited Bars & Clubs section. Turned web section into most popular channel, accounting for approximately 25% of all site traffic. Planned, wrote and programmed content, with minimum of five new features per week. Ensured listings database was always up-to-date and accurate. Hosted and produced web videos.
- Programmed daily homepage and previewed all sections for quality. Tracked traffic to trace user interest and stickiness. Headed up social networking efforts. Monitored UGC. Proofread all print pages.
- Managed editorial budget and freelance billing.
MEDIANEWS GROUP, Los Angeles, CA | 11/03-4/07
Managing Editor, LA.com (4/06-4/07)
- Worked closely with Editor in Chief, Creative Director and technology department to relaunch LA.com with better functionality, design and content. Manually recategorized content to fit within new sections. Helped develop CMS.
- Developed new sections and editorial packages to increase traffic. Marketed content to other blogs and websites.
- Created tracking system to keep searchable content up-to-date. Ensured deadlines were met.
- Trained and supervised editors, writers, fact checkers, photographers and interns. Managed editorial budget.
- Programmed content. Tracked technological problems and provided periodic feedback.
- Was one of six people chosen to develop an online strategy for MediaNews Group’s nationwide news properties.
Nightlife and Music Editor, LA.com (11/03-4/07)
- Wrote or edited about ten articles per week. Put together a monthly e-newsletter. Blogged several times per day. Nightlife section named “Best of the Web” in 2004 by Forbes.
- Worked with Marketing Director to plan nightlife events and create marketing materials.
FREELANCE WRITER AND REPORTER, Los Angeles, CA | 9/03-4/07
People.com, Los Angeles Magazine, Variety, In Touch Weekly
- Covered red carpet events and interviewed celebrities; wrote lifestyle features about nightlife, beauty and fashion.
WEEKLY DIG, Boston, MA | 9/01-6/03
Listings Editor, Writer and Office Manager
- Redesigned calendar section and worked with IT department to develop online listings database. Collected and edited listings. Managed workflow and interns. Wrote articles about local restaurants, shops, events and media.
- Archived back issues, sent tear sheets to advertisers, billed clients, and managed office: phone, fax, mail.
EMERSON COLLEGE, Boston, MA
B.A. 2002, Cum Laude. Major: Writing, Literature, and Publishing.
COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY, New York, NY
Summer 2003. Columbia Publishing Course, an intensive six-week program covering book and magazine publishing.
- Proficient with PC and Mac. Knowledgeable in Microsoft Office, Photoshop, HTML, Omniture, Chartbeat, multiple blogging platforms, content management systems and print publishing tools CCI and NewsGate. Have collaborated on developing three separate content management systems. Savvy with social media.
- Conversational French. Basic Spanish.
- Editors have noted: “full of ideas,” “extraordinarily hardworking, smart and thoughtful,” “easy to work with,” “ability to turn every obstacle on its head,” “indefatigable” and “infectious enthusiasm.”
References available on request.